Monday, September 21, 2009

Last words

I noticed this article in Saturday's NY Times - these were the last words of inmates from Texas scheduled for execution... Maybe, this is common news, but Texas executes the most inmates amongst any state in the US. A selection of quotes...

Nothing I can say can change the past.

I am nervous and it is hard to put my thoughts together. Sometimes you don’t know what to say.

I have come here today to die, not make speeches.

I want to ask if it is in your heart to forgive me. You don’t have to.

I don’t think the world will be a better or safer place without me.

I want to tell my mom that I love her.

They may execute me but they can’t punish me because they can’t execute an innocent man.

I said I was going to tell a joke. Death has set me free. That’s the biggest joke.

To my sweet Claudia, I love you.

I love you, Irene.

Let my son know I love him.

All my life I have been locked up.

I’m ready, Warden.

1 comment:

SG said...

Hmmm...interesting...wonder how their minds will be working