Friday, October 10, 2008

Buckley buckles

I was at lunch today and a colleague told me over the cutlery clashing din on Stone Street that Christopher Buckley, son of the super-arch conservative William F. Buckley endorsed Obama. I really did not believe him, but I got back into work and indeed, there it was...

"This campaign has changed John McCain. It has made him inauthentic. A once-first class temperament has become irascible and snarly; his positions change, and lack coherence; he makes unrealistic promises, such as balancing the federal budget “by the end of my first term.” Who, really, believes that? Then there was the self-dramatizing and feckless suspension of his campaign over the financial crisis. His ninth-inning attack ads are mean-spirited and pointless. And finally, not to belabor it, there was the Palin nomination. What on earth can he have been thinking?"

No comments: