Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Homescape as an escape


Striving to accurately photograph some of the paintings I work on is slowly leading me to a better understanding of the vagaries and vicissitudes associated with photography. Its nature of producing immediate results has tendencies to gratify as well as insult, the latter sentiment visiting me more often than not. In an age of instant gratification, photography rivals most other mediums to compete as an artist’s bedfellow.

The other day, I indulged myself in a thought experiment on reading an article about the venerable Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her never-ending house arrest. The experiment went along the following lines - What would you do if you were locked away in the confines of your home - would you still manage to find art?

So, this is what I did - I decided that in between the hustle and bustle of Labor day weekend (it was pretty hectic - with my sisters family coming to visit us from Germany for a couple of weeks and the resulting grilling and family visits), I would imagine that I had only the landscape of the inside of our home to capture via photography… I managed to click about 50 or so pictures - a lot of them without too much regard to flash and exposure setting and results are in the album link posted below.

Album link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplisticart/

2 comments:

Tree said...

I like your photos. Looks like it was a meditative time for you.

Steppen Wolf said...

Yes, it was Tree. Truly a time to reflect more on the mundane. My family thought I was crazy - darting among the corners of our house and lying at strange angles to get the right effect.
Thanks and am glad you enjoyed them.